Monday, September 15, 2008

One of Those Days...

My friends and I have a running joke where when something bad happens to our children we say "there goes my mother of the year award!" Well today I definitely lost my mother of the year award.

It was one of those mornings where I had to do about ten thousand things in the span of a half an hour. S was apparently feeling neglected because every time I would leave him or even just put him down he would scream and run after me. (That's right, I said run. He finally started walking!) Finally he started playing with his sisters, I decided to take this moment to run upstairs and brush my teeth. Bad mom decision.

Mid brush I hear a blood curdling scream. This wasn't a "someone took my toy" scream, it was a "someone cut off a limb" scream. Of course I run down stairs and find my one and a half year old with blood pouring down his face and all of my children crying! I grab paper towel to try to mop up the blood and find the source, all the while I'm interrogating the girls to find out what happened. No one seemed to have an answer for me, the senarios ranged from S being pushed to it being a spontanious injury (That's what I get for trying to get an explanation out of a three and five year old.) Luckily, the blood was just coming from his nose and there were no cuts, but I felt absolutely horrible. How could I have thought I could just run upstairs and leave the kids playing! My mother of the year award is definitely gone!

Eventually things calmed down enough for J to get her thoughts together and explain what happened. It is so far fetched I know she isn't covering up anything. Apparently, S had been playing with a vine I had out on the table for fall decoration. While he was playing, he stuck the stick up his nose so far that he gave himself a bloody nose. It was a completely self inflicted injury. Seriously what are the chances, that is what I get for trying to be festive and have good oral hygene....

3 comments:

Zilla said...

Well, at least S has proved that he is related to the rest of our clan. I laughed so hard when I was reading this to M that I cried.

I can totally see us doing the same thing when we were their ages...it's kind of like E and the boy babysitter.

Yay! S for starting to run!!

Anonymous said...

You know what they say about kids, if there's something to get into they'll find a way to get into it. This reminds me of the time my sonw as learning body parts. He scooted over to me, put his finger up my nose and said nose! He was so excited. I, however, was running to the bathroom to stop the stream of blood coming from my nose. It was then that I knew having children was like getting pecked to death by ducks! My motto...hee hee. You certainly did not lose your "mother of the year award" you're a great mom. Things like this make our kids stronger, right? :)

Jennifer

Jessica-MomForHim said...

How DARE you actually try to brush your teeth! Just kidding, of course! Read about my recent bad day here:
http://momforhim.blogspot.com/2008/08/what-day.html
At least yours didn't include a trip to the doctor and TWO calls to the nurseline in one day for two different injuries! She dared JOKE with me that social services would be knocking on my door! As if I didn't feel terrible enough already!!
Yeah, I'm not mother of the year, either! :-) But we're both doing the best we can!