Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day

R and I feel very strongly that it is important to vote. We have been talking to the kids about the presidential election to get them involved in the entire process. Our hope is that they will learn the importance of voting at an early age and continue to appreciate the right throughout their lives.

The only hitch in our whole plan comes when we discuss individual candidates. You see R and I are part of a "mixed" marriage, we come from different sides of the aisle and have very different views as to what we want out of our elected officials. This always makes for interesting dinner conversation when the kids ask who we are voting for and why. Being the parents that we are, we told the kids it is important that they make their own decisions and not let anyone sway them. I have definitely tried to not sway them, but I can't say that for R! Here is how the voting shakes down for the under eighteen set at our house. I'm sorry in advance to my family, this will probably hurt them as much as it hurts me!

S - of course S is too young to have a real opinion, but I definitely feel that if he could talk he would say Obama was his man.

A - is for McCain. Her entire reasoning for her pick is that daddy likes McCain and she and daddy have the same hair. Logical, no? Unfortunately I think her system for choosing a candidate might be better then some Americans considering some individuals voted for the last president because they thought he would be a fun guy to have a beer with. That kind of thinking got our country pretty far!

J - being the oldest she is the only child who will actually be participating in a kids vote. From the beginning J has stated her candidate is McCain. I'm not sure of her reasoning, but I told R I would help her vote by making sure she knew McCain was spelled O-B-A-M-A.

All kidding aside, no matter what your stand on politics is, please take a minute to vote today. It is a very important right that not enough Americans exercise. In this day and age it is extremely important that we make sure our voices are heard. If you can, bring your kids to the polls and let them see democracy in action!

2 comments:

Jessica-MomForHim said...

The girls and I took advantage of the beautiful weather and walked to our polling place this morning! A good field trip to see part of the democratic process in action!

Shannon said...

Great Post:0) My older 2 had the chance to vote at school yesterday so it was all politic talk at our house last night for dinner. We are an Obama household. AP says McCain will raise our taxes. We are not even sure where she got that from, maybe the radio.