Monday, October 27, 2008

I'm Sooo Smart

You know those days when you complete a task and you think, "I'm so smart! I just got that done!" All in all you feel great about yourself because you have just achieved something you have been putting off. I had one of those moments a few months ago when I finally cleaned out some of the junk in our house and brought it to Goodwill. In the mist of all the junk happened to be a dish drainer I had had since college and thought I would never use again. I'm an idiot. A dish drainer would have been the perfect thing to have on the day your dishwasher decides to leak all over your basement ceiling.

Oh yes, that is exactly what I realized was happening when I discovered a sopping wet ceiling tile in the bonus room of our basement. Did I also happen to mention that our home warranty expired about four months ago. Life is good.

Obviously a leaky dishwasher is not something I can use and unfortunately my leaky dishwasher happened to be full of dirty dishes. I had to wash and entire dishwasher full of dishes by hand. Now I know that my complaining will be falling on some deaf ears since there are people who don't have dishwashers. Let me tell you, I now feel your pain. It takes forever to wash the dishes of a family of five! My grandma had eight children and always washed her own dishes. I don't think she ever used the dishwasher in her apartment, including when we had family get together with thirty people! Crazy! I seriously don't know how she did it!

So to all of you out there who have dish pan hands, I salute you! Since I am among your ranks for a short period of time I now understand how a simple thing like washing a few dishes can make life much more complicated.

A half days worth of dishes for a family of five. Notice no dish drainer in sight. I'm sooo smart.....

Update: We just installed our new dishwasher and it is fabulous! Not only is it super quiet (we could hear our old one upstairs) but all the dishes come our beautifully clean and dry. I am in heaven!

1 comment:

Jessica-MomForHim said...

I'm sorry about your dishwasher! I feel your pain because I HATE doing dishes! I'm so thankful for my dishwasher, too, and I don't know how others do it either. I've even talked to people who LIKE doing dishes. They say it gives them peace and quiet to think, pray, etc...
I'm still thankful for my dishwasher. :-)