Thursday, November 6, 2008

How Big is Your Crown?

Today A had a play date with a new friend from preschool, T. For first play dates I normally try to put forth some sort of an effort and plan a craft. After the initial play date the kids are generally on their own to create mayhem, but I at least need to put up a good showing as a "fun house" for first impressions.

This morning's craft was princess crowns. I bought plain soft foam hats and glitter foam princess stickers. Let me tell you put three girls at a table with hats and glitter stickers and good times will ensue! A and T made "beautiful" princess crowns covered in glitter and also proceeded to cover their faces in glitter stickers. J has decided that her new dream is to be a tennis player. To help her achieve he goal she made a visor covered in glitter. She now calls this her tennis princess hat and assured me it will help her with her game. She has never played tennis before so at this point any little bit helps. Besides it always pays to look good when you are doing something, especially something that you might not be the best at!

Making the crowns led to a long discussion between A and T about what princess they were going to be. T decided she would be Cinderella and A could be Sleeping Beauty. This did not sit well with A. Apparently she feels Sleeping Beauty does not have a big enough crown. A definitely subscribes to the old adage "Go big or go home". After a while A decided she could be Ariel. I found this interesting because I don't think Ariel even has a crown. When I asked A about the lack of crown she looked at me like I was a complete idiot and said, "Mom, she has a huge crown but she can't wear it when she swims!" Oh right, I can't believe I didn't know that.......

The moral to this little story is either "the bigger the crown the better the princess" or "no swimming with accessories", you can choose.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

I laughed out loud at your blog to day, I wanted you to know that. M asked "what are you doing?" That is too funny. Love it!!!