Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Rock On

My children have a dream of starting a family band, think the Partridge Family but in a silver Expedition. J and A think we are going to put on concerts and perform to sold out crowds. This would be great except for a few small details:

1. I am tone deaf, it is horrible, but I have no musical ability what so ever. (I used to try to pretend I could sing but, finally, I had to admit that if I hadn't found any hidden abilities in the last 28 years they are probably not there)

2. The girls make up all of their own songs. Now don't get me wrong, I love the creativity, but I don't think we are going to pack stadiums with songs filled with words that only rhyme with cat.

3. Finally, not one member of our family can play an instrument proficiently, although A can rock out like no other on her Hannah Montana guitar.

Even with all of those reasons stacked against them, the girls will not be deterred from their dreams of rock and roll stardom. Since R and I do like to support our children's dreams, we are always ready to sit and listen to a impromptu performance and cheer them on. Unfortunately the girls seem to think the performances of late have been mediocre. This they attribute to the fact that we don't have enough instruments, the Hannah Montana guitar can only get a girl so far. To remedy this problem they thought of the great idea of asking Santa for instruments for Christmas. Again, trying to be a supportive mother I got out a catalogue to have them circle what they wanted. J has decided she needs an acoustic guitar. After she circled the bright pink guitar, she explained to me that she has been wanting and dreaming about this guitar for her whole life. I'm sure it has been a long five years.

With J's guitar dreams duly noted I turned to A to see what she had circled. I could not believe what it was, she had bypassed the guitars, keyboards and drums and circled an accordion. Apparently, she saw an accordion at preschool and now wants one of her own. That is right my three year old has dreams of learning to play a bright purple accordion.

Watch out world we are going to completely change the music scene with our awesome rhyming songs and mean accordion playing!

1 comment:

Zilla said...

Too funny!!

I think we were going to do something similar with our cousins when we were that age. Or maybe we hadn't thought it out that far...

I'm glad A likes her guitar and I'm sure Mr. Doorknob would be very impressed to know that she wants an accordion.