Thursday, October 2, 2008

Halloween Drama-Rama

I curse the Halloween catalogues that come to my house! The decision of who is going to be what is a major deal in our family. This year, with the help of the fabulous catalogues, we have had even more drama. The catalogues give my children way too many, way too expensive options for costumes. My poor little kids just can't handle all the options and my poor little brain just can't fathom the cost! Here is how the costumes shake down at our house:

J wants to be a cowgirl. She actually wanted to buy the $100 costume that has the horse attached, but I convinced her the stick horse we have would work. She can just get a cowgirl hat and we'll be great. Whew, crisis averted!

The girls feel S needs to be a rhino. I have no idea why, they just saw a cute $80 costume they think will be perfect for him. Luckily I can defer their idea to R who decided he was in charge of S's costume this year. Apparently the pumpkin I picked out last year was not masculine enough. I wish him luck!

Now comes A, I stupidly thought she would be my easiest. A loves princesses and all things that glitter, so naturally I assumed she wanted to be a princess. In my mind this is a great idea because we have about 25,000 princess outfits. My dreams were soon dashed when, after looking at the numerous catalogues, she declared that she wants to be Wall-E. For those of you who aren't in the Disney movie loop, Wall-E is a big square, dirty, trash compacting robot. She saw the movie when it came out, but fell asleep about five minutes into it. (seven dollars well spent) Since then he has been a topic of conversation off and on.

Now, it's not that I don't think it will be cute because as far as trash compacting robots go he is cute, but seriously this is a girl who always has to put on "lipstick" before we go to preschool. A and robot just don't seem to go together in my mind. Not to mention the costume is $60! I just can't bring myself to spend that much on one costume that will be worn once maybe twice. Too bad A's costume isn't my decision. I guess I have only one option in this situation, bring on the cardboard and glue, it is time for me to get crafty!

I just know I will make the whole Wall-E costume only to have her decide on Halloween that she wants to be Ariel. Next year I'm recycling the stinking costume catalogues before they even get in the house!


2 comments:

Shannon said...

I am with you on getting rid of the temptations/ Birthday catalogues come way too often to our house. They have a lot of options and are a lot more then party supplies at Wal-Mart:0)

KG said...

Don't let A talk to M about this idea or I might be in the same boat. =) For now, I'll just enjoy the fact that I convinced her to be Belle since we already have the outfit!