Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Why is Parenting So Hard?!?

Sometimes I feel very ill-equipped to be a mom. All I can do is think to myself, "Where the hell is that manual that was supposed to come with them!" I'm currently feeling this way thanks to my middle child A.

This year A hit a milestone, she started school. The first day was definitely harder on me then it was her. I cried as she happily got on the bus, smiling and waving. Move ahead three weeks and everything has changed. She cries when getting on the bus, cries at school, and wants me to pick her up. To top off all the drama, I can't seem to get out of her what exactly changed or happened to make her so sad. It breaks my heart that she doesn't want to go to school. I even had to break out the "Mom and Dad could go to jail if you don't go to school" line. Not quite true since she's only in 4k, but what she doesn't know won't hurt her.

I've talked with her teacher, who says she's fine once school gets started, tried to set aside special Mom/A time, and tried asking what is going on. Nothing is working!

I'm at a complete loss. Since talking to her doesn't seem to help, I'm not sure if I should just let it ride it's course or what. I don't want to set a precedent of taking her to and from school every day just for my own sanity, but I just don't know what else to do. Is there anyone out there who has gone through this before? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I just want my happy, school loving daughter back!

1 comment:

Ambervanness5 said...

Hey Laura, Awww...I feel bad that she is having a rough time. I would guess more than likely it's probably just a phase. I bet two weeks from now she'll be right back to loving it again. Another thing to consider...does she go every single day? If so, maybe sending her just 3 days a week might help. I can't remember what she did last year but maybe going every day is just a big jump in amount of time spent at school?? I'm just throwing out ideas. I haven't reached this point in parenting yet but it was just a thought. We might be in a similar situation next year...R goes 2 days a week now, but Greenville is starting a 4K program which will probably be every day. I'm thinking she might have a hard time with that adjustment too. But again, I say give it 2 weeks and I bet she'll be doing better already. And you're right- parenting IS a tough job!! Good luck. I hope she does better tomorrow :) Amber