Monday, February 2, 2009

Groundhog Day...Can You Feel the Excitement!

J loves groundhog day. When I say love, I don't mean I don't mean a "yay, this is a fun day" kind of love, I mean love with a passion love. We start discussing Feb. 2nd weeks before the actual date. We talk about whether or not spring will come early, what Phil does to prepare for the day, what he will eat, we read books about it, basically the excitement builds for quite a while until finally......GROUNDHOG DAY IS HERE!

J has a groundhog hat, thanks to her aunt who actually went to Pennsylvania and saw Phil in action last year (very impressive to my daughter). Last night before J curled up for bed she put on her hat, yes, she slept in a groundhog stocking cap, in preparation for today. (I told you this was a passionate love) I also had strict instructions to wake her up so she could see Phil predicting spring first hand.

J woke up bright and early and crawled into bed with me hat and all. The two of us turned on the Today Show thinking we would see some good groundhog features there. Now, I have to admit, the choice of the Today Show was slightly selfish on my part. I love watching it, for some reason the mix of news and trash just gets me. Normally my TV choice is overruled by three loud, little individuals who would rather watch Super Why and Clifford. Darn kids! Today I thought we all would win, I was mistaken. The Today Show didn't have anything on Groundhog Day. After watching it for an hour J was at her wits end, where was Phil? How would we ever know when spring was coming? Being the mom that I am I went online and found the Groundhog Day ceremony. We watched all twelve minutes of it (that's right the ceremony takes twelve minutes). Finally all of our questions were answered, Phil saw his shadow, spring is coming in six weeks. I don't know what we would have done with out this information!

All kidding aside two funny things happened today while we were watching.
1. J saw someone in the crowd in Pennsylvania wearing the same hat she has (and was also wearing). This was very, very exciting for her.
2. J looked at me very earnestly and said,"I just don't understand the Today Show. Why would they want to talk about the Superbowl and President Obama when it is Groundhog Day. Don't they know what is happening!" I can't imagine what they were thinking....

1 comment:

Zilla said...

What is it about the Today Show?? You and I both love it, but I don't ever remember Mom really having it on, although that may have been because of her work schedule. I bet there are 2-3 mornings a week I have it turned on as I am getting ready. Most definitely when I am traveling for work.