Friday, May 8, 2009

Missing Them

I just got back from a weekend trip to visit my sister and brother-in-law in Atlanta. While a full three and a half days away from the responsibilities that are my children might seem blissful it made me realized something, I really, really missed my kiddos. Surprise, surprise, I enjoy spending time with my children. Now, stop thinking I'm a horrible mother for not knowing this in the first place. Let me explain. My trip to Atlanta came right at the tail end of a long cold winter and the cold, wet start to spring. Both my children and I were stir crazy, craving the outdoors, warm weather, sunshine, and large grassy parks with playground equipment. In more general terms we were driving each other nuts. There is a dirty secret no one tells you about being a stay-at-home parent, there are times when you forget how fun and enjoyable kids can be. Instead of seeing the fun all you see is the work. When this happens my advice is to get out of Dodge! Go somewhere were silence and alone time is plentiful. Absence makes the heart grow fonder is definitely true, in my case three days away makes me a better mom.

No comments: